If you’re looking to add some individuality, creativity and some sparkle to your outfit, don’t be shy!
Whether you’re sporting blue jeans with a nice top or a nice dress for a night on the town, a nice earring and/or necklace would be the best finishing touch to make your outfit come together to compliment your look.
As much as we love to spend time accessorizing, it's also way too easy to find yourself stuck in an uninspired jewelry rut.
Here are some of the signs that you are stuck in a jewelry rut. If you answer yes to any of the following questions, you’re in a bit of a jewelry rut:
- Do you find yourself rotating through the same three pairs of earrings day after day?
- Have you forgotten to wear bracelets completely?
- Is your jewelry lying in a tangled mess in a drawer somewhere? I too have been guilty of this infraction!
Luckily, it's easy to change up your jewelry-wearing habits and get excited about accessorizing again. Whether you want to replace the old pieces and buy something new and different, or simply add a few new pieces to compliment the old pieces and wear your jewelry in a different way, here are some fresh ideas that might interest you:
1. Try layering your necklaces and bracelets.
You often layer your clothes when the weather gets a bit chilly, right? So why don’t you try layering your jewelry?
- Try pairing a pendant with a simpler chain or choker, or wear several delicate gold necklaces of different lengths layered together to create a new/unique look. If you’re going with a statement necklace though, it’s best to just wear one at a time so that you don’t detract from it or totally overwhelm your outfit.
- Some people are not aware of this but bracelets are also fun to layer, and doing so really adds a little something special to your outfits. Layers of wide bracelets mixed with thinner bracelets is a great look, especially with a simple sundress in the summer. Mixing woven leather, beaded or cloth bracelets with metal ones in a variety of colors looks artsy and adds visual interest.
2. Wear a necklace over your shirt.
- This applies to summer clothing as well as winter clothing. For example, in the winter, you have your favorite set of turtleneck tops. You can easily wear a pendant with a high-necked sweater, tucking the chain around the back and letting it hang in front, almost like a classy, feminine bolo tie.
- Try wearing a statement necklace that matches the color of your high-necked blouse.
- If you’re wearing a blue shirt, go with a necklace with stones of a slightly different blue. If you’re wearing a shirt with a collar, you might try wearing a short necklace under the collar, letting it peek out from the front.
3. You don’t always have to wear matching pieces. Feel free to switch it up!
- Usually, when you wear a necklace, you tend to reach for a pair of earrings or a bracelet that came with it so that all your jewelry items match. However, you can have fun mixing and matching.
- It can be more fun and eye-catching to wear things that aren’t part of a set. For example, if you’re wearing a necklace with red stones in a flowery pattern, you could throw on a pair of simple gold or silver chandelier earrings to go with it.
- Or you could combine a chain necklace with a geometric bracelet.
- This is a technique you can try with your clothes as well, by mixing up the patterns and colors in unique ways.
To summarize, just try to make sure that there is a theme as well as complementary colors running through your outfit so that the various elements don't clash too much.
Check our layered necklaces! Please feel free to contact us should you have any questions.
The Peony Petals Team